After his workout, he would bring me inside we would make blueberry muffins that came in little blue and white Jiff boxes. And by "we" I mean he would stir the ingredients together and I would eat spoonfuls of batter. I would eat a few warm muffins, watch a cartoon or two and fall back asleep.
It is hard to beat a warm blueberry muffin. Pair that with bitter coffee (with half and half, always) and I am good to go. Inspired by the muffins in my past (and friend, there have been a lot of muffins) and a recent trip to a new bakeshop in Port Gamble, I decided to make a batch.
Butcher and Baker Provisions (check it out) has a full menu, cured meats and a bakeshop. We sampled a coconut macaroon, peanut butter and jam bar, a lemon ginger scone, and of course a blueberry muffin.
The muffins I made are healthy-ish because I know Rose is going to eat them for meals and snacks and I wanted something a bit more substantial. They have a bit of wheat flour, coconut oil and applesauce plus a ton of fresh berries. They are a great excuse to eat cake for breakfast.
Just add creamy coffee.
makes 1 dozen
1 c AP flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
1/3 c unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
crystal sugar, for topping
- - -
pre-heat oven to 400F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners
1. In a large bowl whisk together flours, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon
2. In a 1 c liquid measuring cup combine egg and apple sauce until smooth
3. Fill the measuring cup the rest of the way up with whole milk
4. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients (including your melted oil and vanilla) and stir until just combined (there will be lumps)
5. Fold in berries
6. Scoop batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle each muffin with crystal sugar
7, Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes, tops will be golden
8. Cool slightly before serving
* no amount is given for whole milk, it is added after the egg and applesauce to equal 1 cup