Friday, April 29, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

This is a story about good intentions. I have heard that if you eat a bowl of oatmeal before an exam, your brain function improves and you are more focused. I have a midterm today and need all the help I can get. I woke up early and went to work where I studied flash cards. I went for a run after my shift and reviewed the terms for the test as I ran. After all of this it was only 9 am and I was famished. What better way to finish off my productive morning than to go back to my house and eat a big bowl of oatmeal? I made my way home with good intentions.

As I wound through campus I remembered I had a pint of fresh blueberries in my fridge. I could definitely put some of them in my oatmeal. It started to snow and I peddled faster, willing the bike beneath my legs to take me home and feed me. I also have lemon extract and lemon and blueberries go perfectly together so I will be adding that as well, I thought. My test will not know what is coming.

I finally made it to the driveway where I jumped off the bike, lifted it up the short flight of stairs and locked it in a single, fluid motion. There was a clear pathway to the kitchen. However, something happened when I crossed the threshold of that room. I no longer desired a bowl of mushy oats. I wanted pancakes. Blueberry-lemon pancakes. With butter. And syrup. And a lot of coffee (on the side, not in the batter). Here is how the morning progressed after that thought, nay mission, entered my head.

1. Make coffee
2. Drink coffee while making pancake batter
3. Add blueberries and lemon
4. Cook pancakes and make more coffee (only rookies go into a pancake breakfast without a beverage)
5. Butter/syrup the pancakes and fill coffee mug
6. Eat
7. Take a three hour nap

Needless to say, the morning did not go as I originally planned. Instead of studying, I hibernated. Instead of eating oatmeal, I had what I equate to the black-hole of breakfast foods. I will pass my test anyway. After all, I am probably the only English major who, instead of a dictionary or MLA handbook (two items my professors have been telling me to buy for the last five years), owns six (seriously) cupcake-specific recipe books. In hindsight, I should have expected nothing less from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment