Saturday, June 4, 2011

If you think these are "too much" then we can't be friends

June first was National Doughnut Day and I did not observe it. It feels wrong, like forgetting a friend's birthday. I have an impeccable memory and rarely forget such important events, however doughnuts and I are not what you would call "close pals". We don't have the daily phone call relationship thing going on. Doughnuts are more like an old friend from high school that I don't really think about during our time apart. A person who, when reunited with, I think wow, they are really great. It is the kind of friendship that seems to pick up right where it left off no matter how much time has passed. This is what I have with doughnuts.

So what do I do when I forget a friend's day of birth? I send out a peace offering, a belated card or gift and hope that it is enough to mend my error.

Today I made these in honor of National Doughnut Day, a belated gift.

 These bad boys are adapted from the popular Voodoo Doughnut Triple Chocolate Penetration. Voodoo's (below) is a cake donut, mine (above) are a chocolate raised recipe.



Yes, I blush every time I say that. Please excuse the blurry picture taken with my cell phone.

The taste of these doughnuts overshadows the embarrassment I feel when people ask me to name them. Try one (or two) and you will see how the chewy, chocolate dough is barely sweet. The soft chocolate icing is the perfect backdrop for an unexpected kick in the face that is delivered to you courtesy of Kellogg's Cocoa Puffs.


A few weeks ago I also made these.


My excuse was that I missed Portland and needed to recreate some nostalgic doughnuts to quell my homesickness. I really just wanted to see if Fruity Pebbles would taste as good as Captain Crunch when mixed with frosting and fried dough. They do.

There is something about putting cereal on a doughnut that makes it better, and not just because it has a dirty name. Though I will admit, that does add to the appeal. These doughnuts are so wrong, so over the top, that they are just right.

Triple Chocolate Donuts
from Donuts by Lara Ferroni (makes 1 dozen)
Stuff:
3 T active dry yeast
1 c whole milk, warmed to 110 degrees
2 to 2 1/2 c bread flour, divided
1/4 c sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 egg yolks
1/3 c cocoa powder (Dutch processed)
4 Tablespoons butter or shortening
frying oil
chocolate glaze (1 1/2 c confectioners' sugar, 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder, 2 Tablespoons milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla: sift together dry ingredients; slowly add milk and vanilla, whisking to create a smooth glaze)
cocoa puffs for topping

How-to
1. Make sponge: in a bowl dissolve 2 Tablespoons of the yeast into 3/4 c of the milk; add 3/4 c of the flour and combine to make a paste; cover and allow to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together remaining milk and yeas; add the rested flour mixture, the sugar, salt, baking soda, vanilla and egg yolks. Mix until smooth
3. Stir in cocoa
4. Turn off mixer and add in 1/2 c remaining flour; mix on low for 30 seconds
5. Add butter and mix 30 second more
6. Switch to the dough hook and add remaining flour, 1/4 c at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is tacky but not sticky
7. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (up to 12)
8. After it has chilled, roll dough out to 1/2" thickness and cut as desired
9. Place on a parchment lines baking sheet dusted with flour and cover with a towel; allow to rest for 10 to 20 minutes in a warm spot
11. Heat oil to 360 degrees and fry proofed donuts for 1-2 minutes on each side
12. Glaze cooled donuts with chocolate and immediately sprinkle with cocoa puffs

No comments:

Post a Comment