Friday, June 17, 2011

This is my first post as a college graduate. It should probably feel monumental. I should be changed, right? My tone should be significantly more elevated, my vocabulary more prestigious. Really, I am sitting on my bed, wiping toast crumbs from the corners of my mouth and drinking Gatorade. I am also wearing my high school volleyball sweatshirt. Go Storm!

Why does it sound like I am sick? Anyone who knows me is aware of the fact that I am pleasant only after a few cups of coffee each morning. Yet today I am drinking water and Gatorade. Is it a hangover? Nope, though I did enjoy a few Pyramid beers last night (delicious). Is it the flu? No, not to my knowledge.

It is yoga.

There is a tiny yoga studio tucked into the corner of the central plaza in downtown Kirkland. What sets this studio apart from others is its specialization: you can only take hot yoga classes there. This means, for an hour or more, you must twist and pretzel yourself from pose to pose in 105 degree heat.

I have walked past this studio probably 92 times because one of my favorite bakeries is located in that plaza. A few days ago, I was about to get my poppy-seed muffin on at Hoffman's when I saw a small sign in Hot Yoga Inc.'s window. There was a sale! Ten classes for ten dollars. Yoga, hot yoga at that, is known to be pricey and this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I love yoga. I like to think I am good at yoga. I was not prepared.

The studio is more like an over-sized sauna. I begin to sweat as I roll out my mat and place a large towel on top of it. The instructor is a beautiful woman who turns out to be more loud and controlling than your typical yogi. She rushes us from pose to pose. There are a lot of crocodile push-ups. I stop counting them, it is easier that way.

At this point I am doing pretty well, aside from sweating more than I thought humanly possible. Then comes camel. We have been moving for nearly 50 minutes now and this minute-long stretch is one of the most difficult. It is basically a kneeling back bend. I haven't eaten anything in nearly five hours but I still feel queasy. I feel like I have just ran an 800. More like six 800's. I look around and it seems like no one else in the class is sweating at all. Nice.

The cool-down comes and the instructor opens the door and windows out into the lobby. The air, cool compared to the sauna, rushes over me. Breathing is easy now.
I leave the class and it is approximately a half an hour and a smoothie later before I can drive home.

There is a class at 9:30 this morning and I will be there. It makes me uncomfortable and it is difficult and, for some reason, I like it. It was also brought to my attention that Hoffman's cake of the month is Lemon Chiffon and I am pretty sure that is an appropriate way to replenish electrolytes after a grueling workout. I mean, it is around the corner from the studio. It just makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment