Sunday, July 17, 2011

ginger, apples, and stick shifts

What do you do when you are feeling discombobulated, when nothing feels quite right. What do you do when you get stuck driving a a manual car on a small hill the second day after learning to drive a stick shift? Or when a conversation comes around a familiar bend and there is no right answer. Just like being on the small hill, you feel yourself rocking back and shuddering forward, essentially going nowhere. This time there are no people honking their horns impatiently behind you, but your hands are just as shaky. What do you do then?

I make banana bread.

I have made the same banana bread recipe for a long time. It is a quick bread. I like bread and the faster I can get to the consumption of my bread the better. Therin lies my love for this recipe. It is tried and true.

A few days ago I got out my (new) measuring cups, spoons, and mixer. I lined up the familiar faces: all purpose, brown and granulated, powder and soda, a few eggs, vanilla, oil, cinnamon and some ripe bananas.

I looked at these fail-safes, the ingredients I have used so many times before. They are automatic, the I-don't-have-to-think-just-go equivalent in baking.

I put away the baking powder, the eggs. I reached for some ginger, a few apples, and another banana.

If I can (somewhat) drive a standard car, who says I can't make vegan banana bread? Vegan apple-cinnamon banana bread? Bring it.

Though I hate to admit it, I kind of like the feeling of reeling backwards on a hill.

Apple-Cinnamon Banana Bread
Get:
4 medium bananas (mashed)
2 small apples (diced)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 c. flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 c. sugar with 1 tablespoon each ginger and cinnamon for topping

Do this:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix wet ingredients (banana, oil)
3. Mix dry ingrediets (soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, flour)
4. Put wet and dry ingredients together
5. Fold in apple pieces
6. Pour into a loaf pan
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon-ginger sugar
8. Bake 50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment