Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A treat like this....


...doesn't just fall out of the sky and onto your plate. Much to my personal disappointment, there is no bread fairy. To get a treat like this, you have to set aside time and make it yourself. True story.

Remember that scone that changed my life???

Come on, it had the sweet/savory thing going on...

Nothing?

Well I remember it vividly.

I remember eating that triangle of honey-rosemary goodness and thinking, I have to play around with this concept.

I ate that scone over a month ago and have yet to do something inspired in the wake of that monumental occasion.

I have been so busy this past month it is only natural that the unessential yens I have experienced have gotten pushed into a corner, forming an ever-growing pile of things to do or experience. It would be easy to never make time for those wants, to work each day and return exhausted. To grab food quickly without thought and collapse into bed for a few hours before it all begins again. This is what I have been doing and it would be easy to continue in this fashion. But I am a difficult woman. I refuse to be one of those people who talk a big game but never follow through with all things pertaining to baking as well as other areas of my life. I know what I want and I am going to go out there and get it.

Tonight, after a long day of work and a good run, I came home to bake with herbs.

Blueberries and basil and lemon

















My chopping callous is developing nicely.














Salt makes all the difference in sweet treats, without it breads and cakes would be one dimensional.


















Whisk whisk whisk














This is a not-so-quick bread. It took me about an hour and a half to make, however it is possible that the amount of time I spent was influenced significantly by a coffee stout and the Bee Gees. This is no honey-soaked rosemary cake, but then again, not many things are. This is sweet blueberries, tangy lemon, and fragrant basil. A promise is a promise.


Blueberry & Basil Bread
Stuff:
1/4 c butter (melted)
1/4 c oil
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c milk
1/4 c half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 c blueberries
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
a bunch of chopped basil (about 1/4 c)

How to put stuff together:
1. Whisk sugar, oil and butter together
2. Add: eggs, milks, and vanilla
3. Add dry ingrediants (flour, salt, baking powder)
4. Chop basil and fold into batter
5. Add lemon zest
6. Fold in blueberries
7. Garnish with sugar and lemon zest if desired (I desired)
8. Bake 50 minutes at 350

1 comment:

  1. This looks like the bread you gave me a slice of... super delicious!!!

    Can't wait for the andre and grapefruit-avocado cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete