Thursday, August 25, 2011

it's all about the sandwich

Good morning from Vermont! Please enjoy the same view I did on my run the other day.



In other news, I love sandwiches.

Hands down, the best sandwich of all time is made by spreading peanut butter and apricot preserves on wheat bread.

If you are lucky, someone will make this PB&J for you. They might even put peanut butter on both sides of the bread. If a person does this for you, hold onto them tightly. Or send them in my direction because that is a person who knows how to love someone else.

Sandwiches aren't just for lunch. They can be dessert.

They can be cream cheese frosting sandwiched between soft carrot cake.


I find the word 'whoopie' to be ridiculous.

I feel like I should be using a funny voice when I say it...

Beginning



Middle



End.


Remember the original sandwich cookie, the Oreo?

You know, two chalky-chocolate wafers with a gritty delicious creme filling?


I made them.


I feel like, if I can make a legitimate Oreo, I am pretty much set in life. You better believe that once the calendar flips to September, the Oreo filling will be dyed a brilliant orange.

Oreos
The cookie:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter (room-temp)
1 large egg

How-to:
1. Combine all dry ingredients
2. Add butter and egg and mix until coarse dough comes together
3. Spoon rounded teaspoons of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet (press down if you want a traditional, flat wafer)
4. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (they will appear soft when you take them out of the oven but will set as they cool)

The filling:
1/2 cup shortening
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
6 tablespoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar

How-to:
1. Incorporate shortening and confectioners sugar (it will look crumbly)
2. Add vanilla and water (you are looking for that spreadable, Oreo-filling-esque texture so you may need more or less water)
3. Scrape down bowl and add granulated sugar and mix for five seconds (you want the sugar to give it the Oreo grit we all know and love)
4. Construct your Oreos!

No comments:

Post a Comment