Thursday, August 18, 2011

my week thus far

I am drinking a double IPA and nursing a sunburn. Yay for days off!

This week I was all over the map. I had no time to write because I was just too busy baking before work, going to work, and baking after work. I was also taking pictures which you will see in a minute. Be patient! What I am going through is a learning process, a messy, high-calorie, delicious learning process. I tried to weave together this past week into a coherent "story" but I couldn't really do that. Sorry! Please enjoy the barrage of pictures and information that is about to be thrown in your face.

Monday
I tackled the travesty that occurs when good food is stigmatized with a bad name.

I made:


I have found that good food, arguably the best food, is often mis-named. Take the muffin top. What do you think of when you hear that term? I would bet that you think of jeans and tummy. A lot of tummy. A muffin top is actually the best part of the muffin. When I sit down with a muffin, I peel off the strusel-y, buttery top of the muffin first. Then I eat the bottom. I save the best for last. Muffin tops contain the best aspects of a muffin. They have unjustly been linked with tummy-overflow. Similar to our friend the Devil's Food Cake.



Devil's Food Cake. Why is it named that? I get that it is basically the opposite of Angel Food. It is rich and heavy where Angel Food is light and airy. But heaven, my heaven, would involve a lot of butter, coffee, sugar, and chocolate. I see no evil there.

Tuesday

Mojito and quesadilla night where I contributed:


First you make the batter


Then you use scissors to cut the batter into hot oil.



Then... you dunk the fried dough into a mixture of cream, dark chocolate and coffee. It is pretty wonderful.

On Tuesday, we also made and decorated butter cookies. No, they did not fit with our theme.


You will notice that we made Buddy a crown.


It was our way of saying thanks for teaching us how to do a color flow.


Wednesday

After a long run and four hours out in the sun by the pool, the only thing I made in the kitchen was the mistake of eating a massive "doughnut muffin" at around 1 am.

Trust me, it is a good thing there are no pictures of this event.

Thursday

I tackled... wait for it... this.


I have danced around the issue of sweet and savory baking. I made the basil blueberry bread. I gradually added more salt to my recipes. But this entity was daunting. I had built the scone up in my head. It was my last taste of Seattle.

I nailed it.

Please try and make this, it will change your life. Promises.

So you begin by combining the dry ingredients and (using your hands) work the butter into the mixture of sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour. It will look too dry. Just wait, Mr. Honey Bear will fix that in a bit.


I chop up the rosemary and added it to my crumbly beginnings of a dough. Then I add the honey and the heavy cream, kneading it until the components just come together. It will be soft. This is what sets the recipe apart from inferior sconage (ie. the dry and over-crumbly). When you work it on a lightly floured surface, it should look like this.


Cut it, sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake for 8 minutes(for mini scones like I made).

What makes this honey rosemary scone better?


And, like everything in life, these treats are best consumed with coffee.


Yep, there is really is nothing like them.

Honey-Rosemary Scones
Makes 8 Hannah-sized scones
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/8 cup sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup honey

How to make them:
-Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together
-Using your hands, mix butter into dry ingredients (until you achieve a sandy texture)
-Finely chop rosemary and add to combined ingredients
-Add 1/4 c. honey and incorperate
-Add cream until dough comes together (it may be less than the entire 1/4 c.)
-Knead dough on lightly floured surface
- Divide dough into two portions
-Knead one portion into a small circle and cut into 4 triangular sections and place on prepared baking sheet
-Repeat with other dough portion
-Sprinkle generously with sugar
-Bake for 8 minutes
-Drizzle with honey







No comments:

Post a Comment