Friday, September 9, 2011

macaroons and moving

Lately, I have risked a lot.

For one, I have eaten a considerable amount of raw eggs.

Eating raw eggs is a frowned upon practice, one I engage in whenever I make anything meringue-esque.

Try and tell me not to eat egg whites and sugar that have been whipped to the culinary equivalent of satin. You can't stop me.

Yes, I know there is bacteria in raw eggs. But in this macaroon recipe, there is also coconut. Toasted coconut at that. And a lot of sugar.




The nearly clean bowl is the result of my snacking. Quality control, lack of self-control... tomato tomato.

Fresh out of the oven and drizzled with chocolate.


I would be lying if I told you the cookies were better than the raw batter. This is just my personal preference. Try it, live dangerously.

I am also moving, kind of a risk.

Sometimes things fall into place without real effort. I like those times.

Recently, I went on a trip to North Carolina to visit a boy.


On this trip, I ate a lot of pretty sushi and drank some good drinks.




Usually, after visiting this boy I leave full of indecision and cheesecake. This time I left with a job offer at a well respected wedding cake bakery.


I accepted.

Macaroons


Stuff:
1 1/2 c coconut (toasted for 15 min at 350, stirring every 5 minutes)
Pinch of salt
4 egg whites
1/2 c sugar
3/4 c chocolate chips for garnish

How to:
1. Toast coconut and let cool
2. Beat egg whites and salt until foamy, add sugar in three increments and beat until you achieve stiff peaks
3. Fold in coconut
4. Eat a bunch of this mixture
5. Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart
6. Eat the excess batter in the bowl
7. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes
6. Chill and drizzle with or dip into chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment