Monday, September 19, 2011

a rant and a recipe

Fun fact about me: I cannot stand it when people say the word "punkin" instead of "pumpkin."

If you are one of those people I am sorry if I sound offensive, but you should really stop assimilating the word and say it right. It makes you sound like a country bumpkin, or more appropriately, "bunkin." Ugh.

What sparked this rant? The other night, the clerks at not one but THREE grocery stores near my house informed me that, unfortunately, they were all out of canned "punkin."

All I wanted was to make pumpkin curry soup. This creamy, spicy soup simultaneously reminds me of my dad, thanksgiving and Indian food. And the other evening it was soup weather out and I was determined to make it.

Apparently I didn't get the hurry-up-and-buy-as-much-pumpkin-puree-as-humanly-possible memo.

Soooo... I bought a pumpkin. A cute little pumpkin.


And I collected all the vegetables in my refrigerator.


And I made soup.


I made soup and biscuits.


As you can see, my biscuit is about the same size as my soup bowl. That is the ideal ratio.

These biscuits are pretty terrific because they taste like



They also make a nice little breakfast sandwich.

Make these multi-tasking biscuits. And please pronounce the second "p" in the word pumpkin.

Cracked Pepper and Cheddar Biscuits
from joythebaker.com
Stuff:
2 cups AP flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (grated or cubed)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp lemon juice and milk to equal 3/4 cup
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


How-to:
1. Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl
2. Add butter and combine until it resembles coarse sand
3. In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, and lemon juice (you can also use buttermilk instead of the milk and lemon)
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and turn out onto a floured surface.
5. Roll dough to 1" thickness and cut out biscuits (I use the rim of a glass about 2 inches in diameter, dusted with flour)
6. Brush with cream and sprinkle with more pepper
7. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment