Thursday, September 15, 2011

You know what they say about a big zucchini...

...it makes a lot of zucchini bread.

Like a ton.

Is the plural of zucchini just "zucchini" or "zucchinis?" You think someone who spent five years in higher education would know this.

But I don't. However, I am well versed in how to make two zucchini(s) into eight large loaves of bread.

This is one of the gifts my friend Geni gave me from her vegetable garden gone wild.


Geni rocks. She makes pretty tarts and fancy french pastries that I cannot pronounce for the life of me. We bond over Gilmore Girls and Andre, a true friend.

So she delivered the zucchini and I turned the small-child-sized squash into a rich fruit bread.



Want to know a secret? This bread is cake. Have you ever looked at the recipes for muffins, cake, and fruit bread respectively? I have. I have set them side by side and compared them. The main difference? Their names. I like how calling a cake "fruit bread" or "a muffin" makes it acceptable to eat before noon. Similar to the mimosa. I am not complaining in the slightest, I will take cake in any format.

A mimosa and this bread would be an ideal breakfast, just throwing that out there.


Zucchini Bread
Adapted from Paula Dean's recipe (www.foodnetwork.com)

Stuff:
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup water
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon lemon juice

How to:
1. Combine dry ingredients
2. Combine wet ingredients (including zucchini)
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients
4. Pour into two loaf pans and sprinkle with sugar
5. Bake at 350 for about 65 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment