In other news, I want cake.
I want chocolate cake.
I want the chocolate cake.
My dad used to make this cake for our family when I was younger. He bakes differently than I do, he is very calculating. He makes very little mess. I am much more forgiving in my measurements (I am heavy-handed when it comes to all things chocolate) and I tend to leave flour, sugar and cake batter in my wake.
Despite our different baking styles, this cake turns out well for both of us.
One cake, three ways.
2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour (AP)
3/4 c cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 c milk
1/2 c oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 c boiling water
1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly
2. Add: eggs, milk, vanilla, and oil; mix well
3. Add boiling water to batter (mixture will be runny)
4. Pour batter into 2 - 9" rounds (prepared with parchment, baking spray and flour) or a muffin tin (prepared with cupcake liners)
5. Bake 30-35 minutes for rounds or 20-22 minutes for cupcakes
6. Cool for 10-15 minutes then invert rounds or remove cupcakes from pan to finish cooling
7. Frost/decorate as desired