Thursday, October 13, 2011

It has been about a year

since I enjoyed a regular M&M.

Sure, I have had the dark chocolate M&Ms, the Crackle kind with miniature rice crisps, the peanut AND peanut butter filled ones. I went through a few bags of the M&Ms infused with coconut and I even tried a handful of the pretzel variety. So, as you can see, I have not been entirely deprived.

But today, when I decided to make oatmeal M&M cookies, only the regular milk chocolate-candy coated treats would do.


I eat regular M&Ms in a very particular way. All other varieties I eat one by one. I attempt to eat the candy shell first and then the chocolate. It is a weird tic that I intend on never attempting to change. However, regular M&Ms I eat by the palm-full. There is a certain tactile satisfaction I get from the intermingling of sharp candy shell and milk chocolate.

I bought a family sized bag of fall-hued M&Ms today knowing fully well that only about half would go in my cookie recipe.




The next time I make these cookies they will have toasted coconut all up in them, as many of the best things in life do.


Oatmeal M&M cookies
(This recipe is scaled down and makes about one dozen, 3" cookies)
3/4 c flour (AP)
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c oats
3/4 c M&M candies
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 stick butter (1/4 c)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

How to:
1. Whip sugars and butter until fluffy
2. Add egg and vanilla
3. Add combined flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt; mix well
4. Fold in oats and M&Ms
5. Chill dough ten minutes
6. Place rounded spoonfuls of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet
7. Bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies) at 350

No comments:

Post a Comment