Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Question:

If a runner falls in the woods and there is no one around to hear her, does she make noise?

Answer: Absolutely. She makes a lot of noise. There will also be tears, cursing, and a bruised/bleeding knee under torn spandex.

I am the worst trail runner I know. Sure, I ran my way through middle school, high school and college. Sure, I have done long and short races, cross country races even. But put me on a path covered in roots and rocks, a path that goes up and down hills surrounded on all sides by trees and it is not pretty.

That is a lie, it is beautiful. The scenery, not my running. It is nature's fault really, if there weren't so much to look at then I would probably focus more on the ground my feet are traversing than on what cool trees I am passing. It is a catch-22 though. When I do get smart and focus more on the ground my running improves, but then I lose track of where I am in the forest and get lost.

I often forget how bad I am at trail running. Enough time passes and I get optimistic about my abilities and then (like I did a few days ago) I go on a run on a nearby trail. Not five minutes in, my head starts going faster than my feet and I hit a rogue root and it is all over. The rest of the "run" involves me stubbornly limping the remainder of the distance.

Luckily I am a much better baker than I am a trail runner.

Running, trail or otherwise, allows me time to think about important things. Things like:



After making this batter I realized I had accidentally doubled the amount of pumpkin the recipe called for.




Since I had a surplus of pumpkin I figured I should balance it out with more sugar...




...and even more sugar in the form of glaze.


The end result is a super-pumpkinny, moist, streusel-topped muffincupcake.

Pumpkin Muffincupcakes
(makes one dozen)

Stuff:
1 1/2 c flour (AP)
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
2 eggs
1/3 c vegetable oil
1-15oz can purreed pumpkin
cinnamon sugar (for garnish)
1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
water

How to:
1. Combine flour and baking powder
2. In a separate bowl mix pumpkin and sugar well; add: baking soda, cinnamon, eggs, oil, and salt; mix until smooth
3. Mix flour and baking powder into wet ingredients
4. Pour batter into cupcake-lined muffin pan
5. Top each muffincupcake with liberal amounts of cinnamon sugar
6. Bake at 350 for about 22 min
7. In a small bowl, combine confectioners sugar and vanilla; add enough water to reach desired glaze consistency (I used 1 1/2 tsp.)
8. Drizzle glaze over cooled muffincupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment