Sunday, October 16, 2011

some events I will never forget

Do you remember those sugar cookies from the grocery store that come out right around Halloween? They are the generic chocolate and regular sugar cookies that are cut into the shapes of bats and pumpkins?? They are covered in crystal sugar that has been dyed either black (for the bats) or orange (for the pumpkins)???

These cookies are nothing special, they are not particularly delicious or even flavorful. BUT I happen to have a special affection for them. It stems from childhood.

Story time: I was in first grade. It was around this time of year, mid October. My teacher, Mrs. Wallace, decided to pass out these (to my first-grade mind) amazing cookies. I chose a pumpkin because bats were gross. I set the cookie on top of my brown-paper-bag-turned-placemat and hurried through my lunch. After finishing my sandwich, I got up and tossed the brown bag I had brought from home into the trash- along with my cookie. I was devastated. To add insult to injury, Mrs. Wallace would not give me a replacement sugar cookie.

The cookies I made yesterday evening are not the same thing at all. But they are delicious and buttery and covered in a vanilla glaze.





My boyfriendroommate enabled my borderline seasonal/Halloween obsession by buying me these cookie cutters. I love them because of the resemblance between the skeleton and Killface from Frisky Dingo.


If you don't know who Killface is or what Frisky Dingo means, do yourself a favor and watch the series. And for all of my friends who are on the road to being teachers out there: if a student accidentally throws his/her cookie away and comes up to you crying, do the right thing and give them another cookie.

Cut-out Sugar Cookies

Stuff:
1/2 stick (1/4 c)of room-temp butter
1/4 c shortening
1/2 c sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 c AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

How to:
1. Cream butter, shortening and sugar
2. Add vanilla and egg
3. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and incorporate into wet ingredients in three additions
4. Cover mixing bowl and refrigerate dough for a minimum of 2 hours (I chilled it overnight)
5. Using powdered sugar (to prevent sticking), roll out dough on a flat surface until it is about 1/4" thick
6. Cut out your cookies
7. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes (cookies will still appear blond)
8. Cool and ice, glaze or decorate

No comments:

Post a Comment