Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pie Season

I am sitting in front of my computer eating frozen cookie dough and thinking about what I want to make for Thanksgiving dinner.

On Thanksgiving, I will get up early to run in a Turkey Trot. Odds are, I will get a post-run peppermint mocha from Starbucks. I will then proceed to eat a meal comprised entirely of potatoes, rolls, stuffing, gravy, pie and wine.

I like to make pie.

Last year, I made apple-cranberry pies with cinnamon crumble topping. I actually have a picture of them.


I made these pies a few days ago.


In lieu of the cake pop trend, I made pie pops. One bite, easy to make, easier to eat.


These pops are perfect for dipping in salted caramel sauce and rum infused whipped cream.

Making caramel sauce is tricky and hot and dangerous and totally worth it.





Whipped cream is especially beautiful in a mixer that you have wanted forever (thanks pop!)


These pops are probably the cutest way to consume pie.


Apple and Cherry Pie Pops
Stuff:
Pie dough** (enough for a double-crusted 9" pie), rolled to 1/4 inch thick
1 large apple diced into small pieces
3/4 c cinnamon sugar
1 lime
1 can cherry pie filling
2 egg whites
20-25 lollipop sticks

** I like to make pie dough the night before so that it can chill overnight. I use the 3-2-1 ratio. For this recipe: 1.5 c flour, 1 c butter, and .5 c water

How to:
1. Using a 2" circular biscuit cutter, cut out dough rounds (you will get about 40 with a double crust recipe)
2. Place rounds in fridge
3. Combine the juice from half of the lime, the apple pieces and 1/2 c cinnamon sugar; set aside
4. Remove 1/4 of the dough rounds from the fridge and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet
5. Press a lollipop stick into each round
6. Put 1 cherry and some juice onto each of the rounds
7. Brush the edges with egg white
8. Top with another dough round from the fridge, sealing the edges (particularly around the lollipop stick)
9. Using the end of an extra stick, press down around the edges of each pop to crimp, brush with more egg whites, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
10. Using a toothpick, poke 3 holes in each pop to release steam
11. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes
12. Repeat with remaining dough using 1 teaspoon apple filling per pop

No comments:

Post a Comment