What about cake?
Red velvet cake and I have a rough history. Gory details aside, my 22nd birthday will be forever remembered as the red velvet incident.
I believe in second chances, even for red velvet.
I figured if I tested the waters with something I love (ie brownies) then the transition into all things red velvet will be a little easier.
I was correct.
1/2 c melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 c AP flour
(cream cheese layer):
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 c sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Melt butter
2. In a large bowl mix the butter and the sugar
3. Add (in this order) vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar mixing well after each addition
4. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix
5. Fold in the flour until lightly combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared 8x8 baking pan, reserving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
7. Make cheesecake layer by mixing all ingredients until smooth
8. Spread cream cheese mixture over the brownie layer
9. Dot remaining brownie batter on top of cream cheese layer
10. Using a toothpick or knife tip, swirl batter into the cream cheese
11. Bake 30 min at 350
12. Cool before serving