Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas to Christmas

This holiday, Jeff gave me (among other lovely gifts) the Lee Greenwood Christmas CD. The tracks on this 1985 CD are just about impossible to find on any music website and now all ten songs are mine. Forever. Almost as great as the songs is the CD cover.


Majestic right?

I think I just might have to buy Jeff that outfit.

In addition to Lee Greenwood, my Christmas was filled with great food and drinks. On Christmas eve we had meat pies that Jeff's brother made. I am cool with anything wrapped in pie dough and these were nothing short of wonderful.

When I asked Jeff what I should make for our Christmas Day dessert, he said blackberry pie. I made this because (1) I do not own a pie plate and (2) I like the word galette better.


This galette/open-faced pie/blackberry pizza is one of my new favorite recipes. Well, not the whole thing, mostly just the crust. I want to make this crust and fill it with ham and cheese instead of berries. I want to make this crust, not fill it and just eat it with vanilla ice cream. Let's be real.


This dessert tastes almost like a danish- the dough is that flaky. This flakiness is due to: the large quantity of butter I used, the ice water in the dough, and the fact that I kept the dough cold until just before it went into the oven.


For Jeff's main gift, I got him all the components of a well stocked bar. So it was only right that we made hot-buttered rum. My father's mother usually makes the batter each year and we simply add hot water and rum to it. This batter is simple and tastes virtually the same as the kind my grandmother makes.



I just found out that, in North Carolina, the months after Christmas are when it turns cold and wintery. I am just going to go with it, and (though Christmas is over) I will continue to listen to Lee Greenwood and drink hot buttered rum.

Blackberry Galette
Stuff:
1 1/2 c flour, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for filling and more for rolling dough out
1 c (2 sticks) cold butter, in pieces
1/2 c ice water
2 c blackberries
1/8-1/4 c sugar, plus more for crust before baking
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Egg wash

How to:
Make crust
1. In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 flour and butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand
2. Add ice water and work until the dough holds together but butter is not entirely worked in (dough will appear speckled with butter)
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (I let mine chill overnight)

Make galette
1. Line a 12" circle baking pan with parchment and preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In a medium bowl combine berries, 1/4-1/8 c sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and lemon juice
3. On a floured surface, roll out cold pie dough into a 12" circle and transfer immediately to prepared pan
4. Pour berry mixture into the middle of the dough circle, leaving about two inches from the side of the pan all the way around
5. Crimp edges (move around the "pie" and overlap sections of dough)
6. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes
8. Top with confectioners sugar or vanilla ice cream

Hot Buttered Rum
Stuff:
1 stick butter
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 c each brown and confectioners sugar
8 oz vanilla ice cream
Rum
Water

How to:
Make batter:
1. Melt butter in saucepan and then add sugars and cinnamon, stirring to combine
2. Remove from heat and fold in ice cream (will appear soupy)
3. Store batter in freeze for up to a month

Make drinks!
1. Boil water
2. Pour 8 oz of hot water into a mug
3. Add 1 1/2 oz of your favorite rum and 2-3 heaping tablespoons of HBR batter from the freezer
4. Mix well and top with more cinnamon before drinking

No comments:

Post a Comment