Sunday, December 18, 2011

Let's Talk Bread

I will always choose a cookie over a cracker.

I will always choose chocolate chips over potato chips.

I cannot remember a day when I didn't eat something sweet.

That being said, there is room in my little world for savory baking. I don't do it often, but when I do I (try to) do it right.

There is something extremely gratifying about making your own bread.

It is... a process. Most doughs are double risers which means they will take at least a few hours to prepare from start to finish.

Take, for example,


These bread bowls begin as a sticky dough and are kneaded, left to rise, shaped and scored, left to rise again, and finally baked.



They are prefect for hollowing out and filling with chowder or chili.

They are also perfect for eating fresh from the oven while you contemplate what to fill them with. Either/or.


Then there are the quick breads.

I love quick breads. Typically I make the sweet varieties like banana, pumpkin, or cinnamon spice. Muffins are small quick breads. So are biscuits.


These biscuits can be made in under twenty minutes and require no rising thanks to baking powder.

What are those flecks?? Chopped chipotle peppers and cheddar cheese.




Who needs store-bought french bread or biscuits from a pressurized can when you can make your own? Plus those cans are terrifying, they make me jump every time I open one. No thank you.

Chipotle Biscuits

Stuff:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, cold and cut into cubes
1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese

How-to:
1.Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt together
2. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture is crumbly
3. In another bowl mix egg and milk then add this mixture to the dry ingredients
4. Fold in cheese and peppers, kneading to incorporate
5. Shape dough to 3/4" thickness and cut out with a biscuit cutter
6. Bake at 425 for about 12 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment