Friday, December 23, 2011

Rx: Waffles

I should definitely be wrapping presents right now. I should be concealing them so that my boyfriend doesn't open our closet and come face to face with the contents of his stocking.

I don't do a lot of things that I should, or rather I do a lot of things that I probably should not. I run through colds (if it is only a sore throat you are good to keep running right? I thought so.) I feed my cat Mac and Cheese (in moderation). I return calls horribly, unforgivably late (working on it...) And I put bacon in my waffles.

Ok so I don't put bacon in ALL my waffles. But I do put lemon juice... it adds tang and citrus notes that plain buttermilk waffles lack. Of course that is all lost when you throw chopped bacon in the batter but that is neither here nor there.



If my waffles are bacon-less, I like to top them with apples that have been sauteed with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla- essentially pie filling.



Adding to the list of things I do (but shouldn't), I got a gift card to Target for Christmas and used it to buy a deep fryer. This is probably the last post that will be sans trans-fats for a good while.

Waffles
Stuff:
3 c all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
*cooked bacon for bacon waffles
**one sliced apple, 1 tablespoon butter, dash cinnamon, 1/8 c brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla for apple topping

How to:
Pre-heat waffle iron before making batter
1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, soda, baking powder, salt and sugar
2. In another bowl, mix milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla
3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it
4. Whisk until smooth
5. Add lemon juice**
6. Pour 1/2 c batter onto pre-heated and oiled waffle iron
7. Cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes
** If making bacon waffles, add chopped bacon to the batter after the lemon juice
*** Apple filling: Melt/brown butter in pan and add apples; add brown sugar and cook until apples are softened (about seven minutes); toss with brown sugar and vanilla before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment