Saturday, January 21, 2012

Care for a mint?

In high school, one of my best friends Coree told me I was an over-analyzer. To this I replied, psh I am totally not an over-analyzer. I then spent the last hour of the school day wracking my brain as to what could possibly have caused her to see me this way.

Worrying is a waste of time and energy.

I know this and yet, I do it.

Until very recently, I did not know that in addition to taking up valuable time, worrying is also bad for your health. Stress contributes to a myriad of other health problems that plague worriers. It causes head aches, insomnia, stomach problems and can lead to actual physical illness.

I don't know about you, but if I am going to give myself health problems I want them to be headaches from a lack of caffeine and a stomach ache from eating too much


There is mint (or menthe?) in each component of this torte, from the chips I used for the ganache to the brownies themselves.


I love pictures like this. Actually, I think I just love ganache.



This torte taste just like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, but is not so thin. I could call it a Thick Mint? No, that sounds gross. Creme de Menthe Torte it is.

Eat this, quiet your mind, and settle into the idea that where you are now is pretty wonderful.

Creme de Menthe Torte
Stuff:
(ganache)
10oz creme de menthe chips (I used Andes)
scant 8oz heavy cream
(filling)
1 c confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
a few drops of green food coloring
(brownie)
1 stick butter (melted)
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 c AP flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

How-to:
1. Melt butter, cocoa and chocolate chips in a sauce pan, stirring until smooth and transferring to a medium bowl to cool
2. Whisk sugar, vanilla and eggs into chocolate mixture
3. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined
4. Pour batter into a parchment lined/ greased 8x8 baking pan and cook for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees; allow to cool completely
5. Make ganache: heat cream until just about to boil (scald)and immediatly pour over creme de menthe chips; allow to sit for 5 minutes then stir until glossy
6. Make mint layer: just combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth
7. Cut brownie in half and spread mint filling on the top of 1/2 the brownie
8. Place other brownie piece on top of filling (making a sandwich)
9. Trim edges as needed then pour ganache over the top of the torte, allowing it to flow over and coat the sides
10. Allow to set in the refrigerator before cutting

No comments:

Post a Comment