Brunch is day-off food, a meal best saved until it can be followed by a nice nap.
What happens when you eat brunch and then have to work? Lethargy and crankiness happen. You will be cranky because you have to be somewhere other than your apartment. Because you are wearing an apron and not yoga pants.
Despite the pitfalls of a midweek brunch,
We should make chocolate-espresso bread pudding and pretend it will be the same as breakfasting on oatmeal.
Chocolate-Espresso Bread Pudding
1 1/2 c bread, stale and cut into 1" cubes (I used Trader Joes brat rolls)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups cream
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1. Butter a 2 ramekins and arrange the stale bread cubes in each (about 3/4 c per ramekin)
2. Heat milk and pour over chocolate; allow to sit 5 minutes before stirring to combine then add espresso
3. Temper the eggs into the milk
4. Add vanilla and sugar
5. Pour batter over bread and make sure it is evenly covered/push down bread to absorb
6. Bake at 325 for 30-40 (until checking the middle of each ramekin results in no runny egg mess)
7. Top with espresso simple syrup if desired (boil 1/2 c water and 1 c sugar until sugar dissolves, remove from heat and add espresso powder to taste then spoon over bread pudding)