I have a few things that I really hope I get to do this next year. They are not your typical resolutions. I don't aspire to drink more water, run every single day, be prettier, or stop eating cake frosting from a can while watching Friends reruns.
In running terms, I hope this next year is less like the hill workout of 2011 and more like a long, slowish Sunday run. A Bee Gees on my ipod- mostly flat with a few rolling hills- my legs can go forever run.
What better way to kick off the new year than with pancakes and a trip to Disney World?
I have had the pancupcakes idea for a long time and decided it would be my first recipe of 2012.
These pancakes do not require flipping, can be cooked all at once in about ten minutes, and contain candied bacon. I see no downside.
I will be taking a breather from baking and blogging while on my trip but will compensate by snapping lots of pictures and running around like a ten year old at various theme parks.
*This is a scaled down recipe and will yield 5 regular sized cupcakes but it can be easily adjusted to accommodate a larger group
1 c AP flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 c milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 strips bacon, diced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 c confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with 5 baking cups
2. Cook bacon until almost crispy, add brown sugar and stir to coat then remove from heat and allow to drain/cool on a paper towel
3. Melt butter and allow to cool
4. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt
5. To dry ingredients, add egg, milk, vanilla and butter; stir to combine
6. Reserve 5 pieces of cooled bacon for garnish and crumble the rest, adding the crumbles to the pancake batter
7. Mix in bacon and then pour batter into prepared muffin cups
8. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes
9. In a small bowl mix confectioners sugar, maple syrup, dash vanilla and milk until smooth
10. Drop teaspoons of glaze on top of cooling pancupcakes and allow to melt over the sides
11. Garnish with butter rosettes and reserved candied bacon