Friday, February 17, 2012

Beer Me

Back to back posts?!? Could I be on the ball this week? Not really, I just couldn't hold this recipe in any longer.


There is always love in my heart for baking and cooking but on some days it is more pronounced. These days are great. They are days that I realize, while piping pear mousse onto almond tarts, that this is my job. My boss is paying me to do this and he is getting cheated because I get so much enjoyment from it.

Similarly, every once in a while there comes a recipe that slaps me in the face and makes me fall in love with baking all over again.




Malty brown ale is mixed with toasty browned butter and lots of melted chocolate to make these brownies. Before you add flour, the mixture will look frothy, totally normal. I really wanted to drink the batter at this point.


These are I have to have them right now while standing in the kitchen brownies. Love beer. Love brownies. Put those hands together...

Beer Brownies
(adapted from craftbeer.com)
Stuff:
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 stick butter
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 c sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 c plus 2 tablespoons brown ale
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

How-to:
1. Preheat oven to 325; grease and flour (I used cocoa powder) a 9" brownie pan
2. Cook butter over medium heat until browned; remove from heat and add chocolate, stirring until smooth
3. While butter and chocolate are cooling, whisk together 2 eggs, yolks, vanilla, and beer in a large bowl
4. Add cooled chocolate mixture to bowl
5. Sift flour, cocoa and salt together and add to bowl, stirring until batter is just blended.
6. Bake for 55-60 minutes (brownies may seem undercooked but will set as they cool)

No comments:

Post a Comment