Thursday, March 1, 2012

bourbon for breakfast

I made an apple pie the other day. Half of it is still in a glass pie plate on my kitchen counter. I have the recipe written down, the pictures taken and ready for editing. Then I had a day off. And on my days off, I tend to make pancakes that beg to be written about. So settle down apple pie, you will get yours.

But first, pancakes.


This morning is a perfect example of the snowball effect. Which just made me think of trying to make homemade snowball cakes (yes, the Hostess product-) but that is neither here nor there. I thought I would start off my day with pancakes. I found a lovely recipe for cornmeal cakes on one of the blogs I follow.


I was going to do the almond butter slash maple syrup thing and call it a morning. While making (and copiously tasting) the batter, my gaze settled on a few ripening bananas. Bananas on pancakes are nice.


Bananas cooked with butter, brown sugar and bourbon are better. This is a fact of life.



Toasted coconut enhances the flavors of the bananas and bourbon. It also makes the pancakes pretty. Both are equally important.


These cornmeal cakes are fluffy and light. I am sure they would be good simply dusted with powdered sugar, though I will probably never test out this assertion. Unless I am out of bourbon and bananas and coconut. I pray that is never the case.

Banana Coconut Cornmeal Cakes

(serves one hungry person)
Stuff:
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
13 c buttermilk
1/3 c cornmeal
1/3c AP flour
dash salt
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 medium banana
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon butter
bourbon to taste
2 tablespoons coconut, toasted

How-to:
1. In a small bowl, mix zest into sugar (which will extract the fruit oils and disperse flavor better) then add cornmeal, four, salt, baking soda and powder
2. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and into it, crack egg and pour buttermilk and oil; mix well
3. In a small saucepan, melt butter and (when it begins to bubble) add bananas and brown sugar
4. When bananas begin to caramelize add bourbon and reduce heat; allow mixture to reduce over low heat
5. Make pancakes: Cook for 1-2 minutes per side in a greased non-stick skillet
6. Stack pancakes, top with banana bourbon sauce and toasted coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment