Thursday, March 29, 2012

Happy Birthday: Fruit Pizza

I know this guy Ben who is at once three things: one of the nicest people on the planet, my younger brother, and one of my best friends. It is his birthday in a week-ish. On this day he will most likely be eating paella and fruit pizza. I wish with pretty much everything in my being that I could be there. It has something to do with the fact that my dad makes killer paella and fruit pizza, but mostly because I want to see Ben.

I can't be in Seattle on April 5th, but I can make fruit pizza here. I can make it, photograph it and send it out through the internet. A delicious e-card of sorts.



Instead of one large fruit pizza, I am making individual pies. We start off with a sugar cookie dough that looks more like cake batter. This will result in a soft, chewy crust.


Pipe the batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until edges are just browned.


Cream cheese, vanilla, lime juice/zest and powdered sugar make up the "sauce." Then, fresh fruit is sliced and layered on top.


Happy Birthday little brother, sending you lots of love and cream cheese icing from North Carolina!

Fruit Pizza
Stuff:
for the crust-
1 1/3 c AP flour
1/2 c sugar
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/3 c buttermilk

for the icing-
4 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon lime zest
juice of 1/2 lime
dash vanilla
cream or milk (if a thinner icing is desired)

fruit for topping, sliced and peeled as desired

How-to:
1. Make cookies by creaming method (cream butter and sugar, add eggs and flavoring, then dry ingredients last)
2. Pipe batter onto a prepared baking sheet, make small circles of dough leaving 1-2" in between each cookie
3. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes (just until edges begin to brown)
4. While cookies are baking, make "sauce" by mixing cream cheese until smooth, adding sugar, zest, lime juice and vanilla. Stream in cream or milk until desired consistency is achieved.
5. Spread icing on cooled cookies and top with fruit as desired

No comments:

Post a Comment