There are a few things in this world that you can count on.
You can count on your dad.
You can count on Oreo cookies tasting the same, always.
You can rest assured that no matter how rough a day you have had, the sun will come up the next morning and you will have a fresh start.
You can count on another opportunity coming along, better and more exciting than the last one.
You can count on blueberry pancakes.
Orange-blueberry pancakes with a zesty glaze.
(makes 7-8 medium pancakes)
1 c AP flour
1/4 c cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons blood orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c orange juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 c fresh blueberries
Orange glaze: Ina small bowl mix 1/4 c blood orange juice and 1 teaspoon zest, dash vanilla, and 1 1/2 c confectioners sugar. Add heavy cream (enough to achieve desired consistency); set aside
1. In a large bowl combine sugar and orange zest (mix well to distribute fruit oils); add flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda and salt
2. In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, vanilla, orange juice, and egg
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients
4. Fold in blueberries and allow batter to rest for 5-10 minutes
5. Preheat pan/griddle
6. Spoon batter onto preheated surface, cook for 1-2 minutes per side
7. Top with butter, glaze and fresh blueberries