Monday, April 9, 2012

5 Things & Citrus Poppy Seed Quick Bread

We leave for our trip to Seattle in a few days so I am Spring cleaning. By that of course I mean I am cleaning then taking a mini break, cleaning a little more then surfing the internet. I am not a fan of cleaning, but the idea of returning to a messy apartment after our trip is unappealing enough to motivate me.

While I clean I often listen to the Joy the Baker Podcast, if I can't be baking at least I can listen to Joy&Tracy talk about baking. This week they challenged listeners to share five favorites. So- before I tackle the bedroom/closet- here are five things I am in love with right now... ready-set--go!



 I wish every morning could include chilled champagne, tangy orange juice and frozen berries.


When I want bread, I want it fast. With citrus zest, poppy seeds and a few cups of coffee.


I unabashedly love Les Mills classes. Don't judge. 


 This man's voice is beautiful, but in a totally masculine way. I hum this song constantly because (1) it is addictive and (2) I don't really know all the words so humming is safer.


A pretty picture of where I work. The kitchen is on the top floor, somewhere behind the sparkly tree.

Petite Citrus Poppy Seed Quick Bread

(makes one small loaf)
Stuff:
 1/4 c butter softened (1/2 stick)
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon combined lemon and grapefruit zest
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 c AP flour
1/8 c + 1 Tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

How-to:
 -Follow basic creaming method, folding in poppy seeds by hand before transferring batter to a well greased loaf pan/tin.

-Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, when the center of  the bread springs back to your touch it is ready!

8 comments:

  1. Mimosas! Nice choice - though I am always partial to bellinis myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't had a Bellini in a long time, that will be next on my list of drinks to make!

      Delete
  2. Oooo where do you work? Its very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Alison! I work in downtown Raleigh, NC for a catering company at the convention center.

      Delete
  3. I love mimosas, too! Your place of work looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bodypump is awesome. are we not cool for liking it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very cool for liking it. I think coolness and strong quads from all the squats are byproducts of going to bodypump.

      Delete