Thursday, April 5, 2012

Goodbye Coffeemate: Coconut-Chocolate Coffee Creamer


I learned this at an early age. I have never been one of those girls who couldn't possibly eat anything before noon, one of those girls who claimed to "feel sick" at the sight of peanut butter toast first thing in the morning.

For me, some mornings are indulgent stacks of pancakes, but mostly it is toast or oats of some kind. Always, always with coffee.

How do you take your coffee? Sometimes my coffee looks like this-


The other day at work, a friend brought in Almond Joy coffee creamer. Words cannot express how much I wanted a cup of that coffee this morning. So I did something that I can't believe it took me this long to think of doing: I made coffee creamer.


Coconut milk meets cocoa powder, brown sugar and a dash of vanilla.



I was in the mood for a latte so I added a little extra milk to my cup. I also ate a considerable amount of the chocolate-coconut mixture with a spoon.



I think I just ended my relationship with Coffeemate.

Coconut-Chocolate Coffee Creamer
(makes 1 c)
Stuff:
1 c coconut milk
1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 c brown sugar
dash vanilla

How-to:
1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk milk and cocoa until mixture just boils
2. Remove from heat and add sugar, mixing to dissolve
3. Strain mixture into a bowl or small container and whisk in vanilla
4. Add desired amount to coffee (or warm milk for a different take on hot cocoa)

1 comment:

  1. It was only a matter of time :)

    ReplyDelete