Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homemade Granola

When I was in college I ate a lot of granola.

Like, a box a week.

When I lived in a dorm room, I kept a box of it next to my books, candles and the rest of my life that college requires freshmen to smash into a 9'x12' room. Actually, half of a 9'x12' room.

When I got an apartment I kept my granola on top of the fridge. I would grab handfuls of it as I made my coffee on my way out the door to work at 3:45am. My body wanted sleep but I gave it the next best thing, granola.

After graduation, I moved to Vermont and learned how to make granola. No big deal.


So now I can make granola whenever I want, which is always.


To the toasted oats, bran cereal and coconut we add what is essentially liquid apple pie. At least that is what it smells like. What it really is, is butter, maple syrup, honey, spices and sugar.


  

Once the mixture is well coated, spread it onto a lined cookie sheet and bake. Granola requires some babysitting, you will have to turn it every 15 minutes for 45 minutes. This will give you a uniform flavor and toastedness. Yes... it is a word.

 



You can totally add white chocolate and cranberries to your granola. Or chop up graham crackers, marshmallows and semi-sweet chocolate chips for some s'more flavor. Pretty much any combination added to the base cereal is a go. When I set out to make this recipe, I bought cashews, white chocolate, raisins and cranberries. I then spent the following week not making granola and eating all of the special add-ins I had bought.

So here you see the result: homemade banana chips, raisins and roughly chopped dark chocolate.

 


Eat it from a bag by the handful, or with a spoon over yogurt. Eat it and be happy that you made your own granola. And be happy that you no longer have to share a dorm room. Just be happy.



Granola
(adapted from http://www.trappfamily.com/dining/recipes )

2 c  oats
 1/2 c coconut flakes
3/4 c bran cereal flakes
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
4 tablespoons browned butter
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c chopped dark chocolate
2 bananas, sliced on a bias and dried (bake in an oven at 200 for 2 1/2 hours)

How-to:
1. Over medium heat, melt the maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and butter until scalding (when you see small bubbles on the side of the pan, you are done!)
2. Toss this mixture with oatmeal, coconut, and bran flakes until well coated
3. Spread out onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 275 degrees for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes to brown evenly.
 4. Once cool, break up into small clusters and combine with raisins, chocolate and banana chips

1 comment:

  1. Granola from scratch - I gotta get on this train for real. Great post!

    ReplyDelete