Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: The Cupcake Shoppe

In Seattle, I was able to visit some of my favorite coffee shops, bakeries and other little haunts I found through trial, error, and lots of walking on free afternoons. 

Since moving to North Carolina, there has been a lot big picture thinking. Trying to figure out your life is exhausting! It leaves little time and room for meandering around downtown looking for cupcake shops.


There is no set amount of time before you officially get used to a place, to start to think of it as "home." I believe that a place is home when you start to find favorite places. It is about that time.

Enough life talk, on to the cupcakes. There are three big hitters when you ask about cupcakes in the greater Raleigh area. I am going to go to all three and I am going to tell you all about it, is that cool?


This cupcakery sits at the end of Glenwood Ave. It is surrounded by restaurants, bars and the most intense gym I have ever seen. We are talking drill instructors yelling at people on treadmills, treadmills that face a window that I stood in front of eating my cupcake.

The Cupcake Shoppe itself is a small bakery that reminded me of a tea room. White tables and chairs with pink accents face a single bakery case displaying the various flavor options all for around $4.00. They had traditional southern favorites like coconut, strawberry, and red velvet. There were classics: vanilla vanilla, the brown betty (all chocolate) and mint chocolate chip. I chose the daily special, German chocolate.


If you are thinking this looks like a lot of frosting, you are right. I am not usually a big frosting fan, but that excludes the coconut-caramel-pecan topping that makes a chocolate cupcake a German chocolate cupcake. The cake underneath the frosting was moist, but still held up under the weight of the topping. It was a rich, barely sweet chocolate cake which complimented the very sweet icing.

I cannot yet tell if The Cupcake Shoppe is my favorite, to be objective I will have to visit the other two venues first.

Up next, Sugarland!

No comments:

Post a Comment