Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cantaloupe Granitas & a Short List


1. Yuban is my favorite brand of coffee. It is reasonably priced. I don't know if it is fair-trade. It is rich, bitter and perfect for dunking cinnamon Pop Tarts into. This weekend, after seven months of Yubanlessness, I found two small canisters on a shelf at Harris Teeter. Halleluiah! I bought both.

2. I am going to buy a bike. Instead of a car.

3. I am also going to buy pepper spray, though I am not sure how effective it will be at saving my life if I crash my bike trying to use it.

4. When I get upset, I look at pictures of my nephew and it fixes me right up.


5. I am addicted to House Hunters and Cupcake Wars.

6. I am making ice cream-esque treats in the freezer as a way of putting off purchasing an actual ice cream maker.

Granitas require no special gadget. All you need is a blender and a freezer. It is a beautiful thing.

I made a cantaloupe granita because (1) cantaloupe is refreshing and (2) I had cubed cantaloupe in my refrigerator already.

This is cantaloupe simmering in simple syrup. This process makes the flesh soft and blender-friendly.


 Add the fruit and syrup mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. I folded in some vanilla and brown sugar for added flavor.


Now the beauty of the granita: pour fruit mixture into a pan/tupperware container and freeze. Remove from the freezer every 45 minutes-1 hour to stir/scrap mixture with a fork. After 3-4 hours, you will have a fully frozen fruit granita!

I layered the cantaloupe granita with tart frozen yogurt. Kind of like those little cups of orange and vanilla ice cream that you used to eat with the wooden spoon as a kid. Except not.  They are not like that in the slightest. Forget I mentioned it.
 

Cantaloupe Granita
(makes about 2 1/2 cups)
Stuff:
2 heaping cups cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and diced into 1" cubes
1/2 c simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
dash salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
optional: frozen yogurt for serving

How-to:
1. In a medium saucepan, simmer simple syrup, lemon juice, and cantaloupe until fruit is fork tender
2. Pour fruit and liquid into a blender and puree until smooth
3. Pour mixture into a pan or tupperware container
4. Fold in salt, vanilla, and brown sugar
5. Place container in the freezer
6. Freeze for 3-4 hours, removing every 45 minutes - 1 hour to stir/scrape with a fork (you want to achieve a grainy consistency)
7. Layer granita with vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt or enjoy by itself!

1 comment:

  1. Yum looks amazing!! You do have a pretty cute nephew :)

    ReplyDelete