Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Homemade Cornbread

There is something about Jiffy muffin mix that makes me swoon. I never need it. I know I am capable of making any kind of muffin or quick bread I want, but there is something so nostalgic about the little blue and white boxes- I am tempted to buy one of every flavor whenever I walk down the baking aisle. One of every flavor, except cornbread. I would buy at least three of those.

Whenever there is chili on the table, there should be Jiffy cornbread. That is how my mind works.

At least, it did until I saw that sweet white corn was in season. Homemade cornbread? Challenge accepted.


Cornbread from scratch is as easy to make as boxed cornbread.


A few dry ingredients get mixed with eggs, buttermilk and sweet corn straight from the cob. 


The batter is then poured into a pan that has been coated with browned butter.

 

I love browned butter.


After twenty or so minutes, you will have this. The density of the cornbread is balanced with the crisp, fresh corn.

Butter and honey help too.


Fresh Cornbread
adapted from Alton Brown www.foodnetwork.com
(makes on 8x8 pan)
stuff:
2 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 c corn, cut from the cob or canned
2 Tablespoons butter, browned ( to do this, cook butter over low-medium heat until it is completely melted, stops foaming and you can see brown bits collecting in the bottom of the pan- it will smell nutty)
butter and honey (for serving)

How-to:
*pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
1. In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking soda/powder
2. Add eggs and butter milk, whisking until just combined (batter will have a few lumps)
3. Fold in corn
4. Pour browned butter into an 8x8 square baking pan
5. Pour batter into buttered pan
6.  Bake at 400 until top springs back, about 20 minutes
7. Serve with butter and honey

No comments:

Post a Comment