Friday, June 15, 2012

Broiled Coconut & Oatmeal Spice Cake

Jeff has been talking about a certain spice cake with a certain broiled coconut topping for about as long as I have known him. His mom used to make it for him and it is his favorite.

After talking to Jeff's mom and doing some digging on the internet, I found a recipe reminiscent of the bits and pieces of information I had gotten about the cake. The page was entitled Sexier than it Sounds: Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut.

When I hear the term "sexy food" I think of chocolate cake with a molten center. Or a dessert garnished with a chocolate drizzle that looks a lot like lace. Maybe it is just me, but when I hear "sexy food" my thoughts don't turn to oatmeal.


Confession time: I have eaten this cake for breakfast this entire week.


Cooked and cooled oatmeal is folded into the batter before it gets baked. The cooked oats melt into the other ingredients. This gives the cake a silky texture and prevents it from drying out.


The cake is topped with a mixture of brown sugar, butter, coconut and chopped pecans (similar to German chocolate cake frosting.) This topping gets cooked twice, once on the stove and again under the broiler.



I don't know if this is the same cake Jeff had growing up. And I don't know if I would necessarily call it sexy. But I do know it is one of my new favorites.

Oatmeal Spice Cake with Broiled Coconut Topping
(from ehow.com)
Stuff:
(cake)
1 1/4 c water
1 c quick oats
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 c AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
(topping)
5 Tablespoons butter
3/4 c brown sugar
3 Tablespoons milk
1 c chopped pecans
3/4 c coconut

How-to:
*pre-heat oven to 350
1. Cook oatmeal with water over medium heat until thickened; remove from heat and allow to cool completely
2. In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars
3. Add eggs one at a time; beat until light and fluffy
4. Add vanilla, salt and cinnamon
5. In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder and soda; add to wet ingredientsin mixing bowl
6. Using a spatula, fold cooled oatmeal into cake batter until just incorportated
7. Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 23-30 minutes
8. Allow cake to cool; while cake is cooling, make your topping by combining all ingredients in a small sauce pan and cooking over low-medium heat until the they melt together
*pre-heat broiler
9. Spread topping evenly over cooled cake and place under a broiler for 2-4 minutes (until topping is bubbly and golden brown)
10. Cool until topping is set and enjoy

2 comments:

  1. my sister use to make this cake all the time, but she always burnt the top! so put your timer on......it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by and for the good tip... I definitely stood in front of the oven and watched the cake broil to avoid burning it... it is always those last few seconds of thinking "it'll be fine" that a cake goes from broiled to burned!

      Delete