Tuesday, June 12, 2012

an early father's day gift

Dear Dad,

I tried to make you candy for father's day. I thought, It would be great to make Pop's favorite Bruce's candies from scratch and send them to him for Dad's Day this Sunday.

So one night this past week I made you candy. After a long run and possibly some beer. And I took pictures.

I melted down white chocolate and added peppermint extract and green food coloring for my rendition of Cracked Ice.



Then, I boiled sugar and water and folded in baking soda to make bubbles for Seafoam (or honeycomb/sponge candy as it is otherwise known.)





These look pretty right?

They are failures. The Cracked Ice begins to melt as soon as you pick it up. The Seafoam latches onto your teeth with a vice grip and refuses to let go without taking a filling or two with it. They are failures that I can't send to you.

So what have I learned? (1) I shouldn't drink beer after running if I want to make candy correctly. (2) I need a candy thermometer. (3) I am glad Bruces has online ordering.


Love,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment