Everything hurts. It hurts to type, it hurts to sit up, it even hurts to eat pancakes.
My real life also includes a lot of pancakes.
These pancakes are a simple buttermilk batter perfumed with almond extract and studded with fresh strawberries.
Make your pancakes into a shortcake of sorts. Layer them with fresh berries and honeyed Greek yogurt.
Sorry Tony, but in truth, life is made better with pancakes.
adapted from The Joy the Baker Cookbook
(makes 6 -4"cakes)
1 c AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 c buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 c fresh strawberries, diced (plus more for serving)
1 c Greek yogurt mixed with 2 tablespoons honey and a dash of almond extract
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and sugar; make a well in the center.
2. To the dry ingredients add the butter milk and egg, stirring until just combined; fold in almond extract
3. Add diced strawberries to batter and mix to incorporate
4. Butter or grease a medium skillet
5. Pour about 1/3 c batter onto preheated pan (medium setting) and cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
6. Repeat step 5 with remaining batter
7. Spread pancakes with yogurt mixture and stack; top with sliced strawberries and enjoy!