Summer is all about frozen yogurt, fresh fruit, everything salads and cucumber gin and tonics in sweaty glasses.
Fall is the season of cloves, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Pretty much any autumnal baking recipe has a variation of those flavors. It is the season of warm lattes and fresh baked breads. It is a delicious precursor to the unavoidable gluttony of the winter holiday months.
This bread is summer-fall.
(makes 1 9x5" loaf pan)
1 1/2 sticks of butter, melted, browned and cooled
2 cups AP flour flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 c buttermilk
2 large bananas, mashed
3/4 c fresh strawberries, diced, plus more for garnish
1-2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, for garnish
*pre-heat oven to 350
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter and cook over medium heat until browned; allow to cool
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
3. In another bowl, combine, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and mashed bananas
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients
5. Stream in browned butter and stir until just combined
6. Fold in diced strawberries
7. Pour batter into a well-greased loaf pan
8. Thinly slice 1-2 strawberries and place slices on top of batter in pan; sprinkle with granulated sugar
9. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.