Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Peanut Butter Cups

I am not a big candy fan by nature. I was always more of a brownie girl. But every once in a while, I will need a Reese's peanut butter cup. Especially if I see one of the Reese's holiday series (the Easter egg, the Christmas tree, the pumpkin)... I am positive they contain more peanut butter. I can be a little greedy.




Peanut butter and chocolate. Portable. In your face.

I wanted an excuse to use my scissors and my paint brushes, and I also wanted to make dessert. If this mood ever strikes you, make peanut butter cups.

It all starts here.

Melt chocolate.

Make peanut butter filling. Make sure to use salt... that is the best part about Reese's cups (the part that I have found off-brand candies lack.)


Cut the edges of cupcake liners down a bit. Unless you want deep-dish peanut butter cups, which I encourage. While the peanut butter filling cools, use a small paint brush to coat the liners with melted chocolate.


After a quick chill, fill with the PB.

Chill again then top with more melty chocolate.


Last 'chill' I promise.


And there you go.

Oh yea, homemade cups mean you can adjust the PB to chocolate ratio however you want.


Want something that tastes like this but has fewer steps (and requires no paint brush?) Try these bad boys.

Peanut Butter Cups
adopted from www.browneyedbaker.com
(makes 12 candy cups)
1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1/8 c brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 c confectioners sugar
2 c chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- - -
1. Make peanut butter filling: in a small sauce pan, combine butter, brown sugar, and peanut butter; allow to cook until smooth and melted together; remove from heat and add salt and confectioner's sugar; mix well; set aside to cool
2. Over a double broiler, melt chocolate chips with shortening
3. Cut down 12 cupcake liners so that there is about 1/4" of the creased sides remaining (or leave tall for bigger candies... the total yield will decrease)
4. Place liners into a muffin tin and scoop about a teaspoon of melted chocolate into each liner, using a small paint brush to spread the chocolate evenly on the bottom and sides (I did my cups one at a time so that the chocolate wouldn't harden)
5. Refrigerate until first chocolate layer is set
6. remove from fridge and fill with about a tablespoon of peanut butter filling (you want the filling to be a little warm still so that it is easy to work with); smooth the top of the peanut butter layer and return to the fridge
7. Once the peanut butter hardens (about 20 minutes), remove pan from the fridge and top each cup with more melted chocolate, using the back of a spoon to evenly coat the top and seal the edges.
8. Refrigerate until top is set (about 20 more minutes), then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment