Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Southern Lemonade

The first time I drank southern lemonade, I was far from the south.

I was at a bachelorette party in the pacific northwest. Years later, I am living in the southeast corner of the states. It is only right to make southern lemonade.

 It's pretty simple really. Make zesty simple syrup and mix it with fresh lemon juice and water. Oh, and  Southern Comfort... that's Southern part of the recipe.

If I were to guess, I would say this drink has a subtle accent and calls all women ma'am.

Southern Lemonade
(makes 1 pitcher)
stuff:
9 lemons, juiced (about 2 cups)
zest of one lemon
6 c water, divided
1 c sugar
1 pint Southern Comfort
sliced lemon, for garnish
 - - -
1. In a small saucepan bring 2 c water, sugar, and lemon zest to a boil  over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture begins to reduce slightly; remove from heat and allow to chill
2. Strain chilled syrup into a large pitcher
3. To the syrup, add lemon juice, remaining 4 c water and Southern Comfort; stir well to combine (adding lemon slices if desired)
4. Pour lemonade over ice and garnish with a lemon wedge



No comments:

Post a Comment