Sunday, August 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Cookies

As of tomorrow Jeff and I will no longer be North Carolinians. Tonight is all cleaning and organizing and packing the little red Honda to the gills with my kitchen accessories...

Moving is stressful. Cookies are not, especially cookies eaten for breakfast. Cookie Crisp cereal was one of my favorites growing up. I am torn because, while I would be happy eating chocolate chip cookies and milk every day at 7:00am, I know that by 7:35 I would be I-am-going-to-faint-my-stomach-is-eating-itself starving.

So I made something more substantial.


I made cookies that are essentially a bowl of oatmeal. They require no spoon and can be (safely) eaten while driving. Perfect road trip snacks. They are healthy, damn tasty and will keep you full until lunchtime.


These cookies have oatmeal, peanut butter, bananas, applesauce, raisins and chocolate chips. They are dense, scone-like, and a little crazy.



Do you see the big pieces of banana? Major health points. These will offset the Snickers, Junior Mints and Corn Nuts you will most likely eat while driving through the entire Midwest.


In general I don't take well to inactivity, but for some reason I love road trips. I love drinking strong gas station coffee and driving for hours while listening to audio books. Throw in a couple of these cookies and I am all set.


Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Cookies
makes: 1 dozen (1/4 c) cookies
1/4 c peanut butter
2 Tablespoons vanilla (or plain) yogurt
1/4 c apple sauce
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 large bananas, mashed
dash salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 c AP flour
1 c oats
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c chocolate chips
- - -
*pre-heat oven to 350
1. In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together apple sauce, peanut butter, yogurt and brown sugar; add bananas, salt, baking soda and vanilla
2. Add flour and oats, mixing until dough just comes together
3. Using a spatula, fold in raisins and chocolate chips
4. Chill dough in freezer for 20 minutes
5. Scoop 1/4c portions of dough into a lined baking sheet
6. Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes, until bottoms are golden and cookies are sent

No comments:

Post a Comment