Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pumpkin Quick Bread (Vegan)


Sometimes I make vegan foods because I am lazy and don't want to go to the store to buy butter and milk and eggs. Sometimes I make vegan treats to smite people who claim all things vegan are hippyrabbit food. And still other times I make vegan recipes simply because I love them.

I wish it were fall and that I could wear a pea coat and jeans tucked into tall boots. It is not fall, but I am making pumpkin bread. I am in no way vegan, but this bread is. Just go with it.


I love vegan quick breads. I have found them to be more flavorful and less dry that their non-vegan counterparts- at least the recipes I use.

This bread gets its taste and texture from lots of sugar, vegetable oil and creamy pumpkin. It is cake. But it has no animal bits in it so we can call it health food.

It also gets some added moisture and flavor from maple syrup.

Nobody likes naked bread so add (vegan) streusel.


Enjoy this bread with your coffee. Pretend it is fall and that you are vegan.


Vegan Pumpkin Bread
adapted from www.tuppsfamily.blogspot.com
(makes 1-8x4" loaf)
1 can (15 oz) canned pumpkin
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c brown sugar
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 3/4 c AP flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 Tablespoons water

Vegan Streusel
1/3 c oats
2 Tablespoons almond meal
dash cinnamon
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- - -
*pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
1. In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, water, vanilla and sugars
2. Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda/powder, salt, cinnamon)then add to the pumpkin mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until just incorporated
3. Pour batter into a well greased loaf pan
4. In a small bowl, mix together streusel ingredients with hands until is clumps together slightly; sprinkle streusel over batter
5. Bake for 60-70 minutes at 325 degrees (use foil to cover top of bread near end of baking time to prevent it from over-browning while the middle finishes cooking)
6. Cool in pan before slicing

No comments:

Post a Comment