Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thin Mint Cookies

I have watched You've Got Mail twice in the past week. I blame Tom Hanks' charm and the Cranberries rendition of Dreams in the intro. I have never lived in New York and I have never had an online relationship but the movie makes me feel nostalgic. Or maybe it is just that I like Meg Ryan's pixie hair cut and the fact that she owns a cute little bookstore. Who knows.

Lately, when I am not watching You've Got Mail, I have been getting my life packed up and scotch taped together because Jeff and I are moving in less than a week. Oh and working. A lot. When days are all to-do lists and business one needs a little frivolous pleasure, no?


Enter the Thin Mint. I have always found this name funny because the cookies are called "thin" but that is pretty much the opposite of how I feel after eating an entire sleeve. Three cookies per serving? Really?

Yes, there are rooms to be cleaned and furniture to be moved and items on lists to be checked off. But there are also cookies to be rolled out and cut paper thin, cookies to be dunked head over heels in peppermint chocolate. Both agendas are equally important.



Make your own and eat as many as you want while watching Meg and Tom unknowingly lust after each other. Just do it.


Thin Mint Cookies
makes: 2 dozen 2" cookies
(from www.theviewfromthegreatisland.blogspot.com)
4 oz butter
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 c AP flour

glaze: melt one tablespoon vegetableoil with 5 oz semi sweet chocolate chips; stir in 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- - -
1. In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle, cream butter and sugar; add vanilla and salt
2. Sift in flour and cocoa powder and mix on low until dough just comes together (about two minutes)
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes
4. Roll dough out to 1/8" thickness and cut into 2" circles
5. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes
6. Cool completely then, using a fork, dip each cookie in peppermint glaze
7. Place glazed cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in fridge until coating is set

No comments:

Post a Comment