I feel like I should be writing about pumpkin cinnamon rolls or something with cranberries in it. But yesterday it was still summer and I made a summer cake. So consider this a last hurrah of sorts before I bombard you with all things autumn.
Remember this cake? I replaced the orange flavors with lemon and added fragrant rosemary. It is light and summery.
These tomatoes are unreal... they are addictive and taste like candy.
Flowery chives and rosemary... the benefits of having a garden in the backyard.
I was obsessed with the lighting in the kitchen yesterday... so many shadows.
Because I am me, I glazed the warm cake and then dusted it with powdered sugar. It is a pretty nice way to say goodbye to summer.
1 c AP flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 c sugar
1 egg plus an additional yolk
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 c good quality olive oil
1/2 c whole milk
glaze: combine 1 c confectioners sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon water; stir until smooth
- - -
*pre-heat oven to 350
1. In a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar and rosemary; massage to infuse flavor
2. Add egg, yolk, milk, olive oil and lemon juice
3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined
4. Pour batter into a greased cake pan
5. Bake for 25 minutes at 350
6. Spread cake with glaze when still warm; cut and serve when cooled