Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Donuts

I have been struggling with writing lately. Not for lack of motivation, simply because I have not had a spare moment. When I am not working, I am exploring Seattle, seeing family and friends and piecing together our new apartment. I have not been settled enough to write.

I have also been eating a considerable amount of donuts.

Yesterday, my brother took me to a small donut shop near their home in Manette. We did a sampler, bringing home a variety so everyone could find their favorite. The cake donuts were malty and wonderful, but the blueberry fritter was far and away the best.

Later that afternoon, Jeff took me to a donut shop he and his family frequented when he was a kid. We walked into Pao's Donuts five minutes before closing and snagged a few Halloween themed donuts.

You know you are having a good day when all of your meals consist of donuts and coffee.

So it is only natural that I would choose to make donuts today, right?

 I thought so.

These donuts are full of autumnal spice. Pumpkin puree gives them color and a soft texture.



Lara Ferroni's book Doughnuts: Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home is a gem. Her cruller recipe is out of this world, but I chose a lighter option.

These pumpkin donuts are baked and therefore health food.


 While things are far from routine, I am settled enough to carve out time to write. It feels good to be back!

Baked Pumpkin Cake Donuts 
makes 6 donuts
1 c AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1 tablespoon for finishing
1 c sugar, divided
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c milk, scalded
2 tablespoons butter, browned
1/2 c pureed pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
- - -
*pre-heat oven to 350 and lightly grease donut pan
1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 c sugar and spices (reserving the 1 tablespoon of cinnamon)
2. Fold in milk, butter, egg, vanilla and pumpkin until just combined
3. Pipe or spoon batter into prepared donut pan
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes
5. Combine remaining 2/3 c sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon
6. Brush tops of warm donuts with cream or butter and toss in cinnamon sugar to coat
7. Serve warm, with coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment