Monday, October 1, 2012

Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze

About a week ago I went out for a run. While I ran, my mind was racing faster than my feet which were moving faster than my eyes. That is a poetic way of saying that I was distracted and tripped over my own feet.

Lately my mind has been working non-stop. I guess I underestimated how stressful moving across the country and completely starting over would be.

I think it would be nice to not think about big-life things for a bit- to not worry if I am doing good enough at my new job, to not make an imaginary monthly budget, to not go over potential wedding plans in my head.

Instead I want to think about cinnamon rolls.


These are fall incarnate... a pumpkin spice dough gets wrapped around cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg and toasty pecans.





Take it to the max (is that still OK to say? Was it ever?) with a maple butter glaze.



The only big-life thought I have after eating these is related to how much I love cinnamon rolls.

Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze
for the rolls
2 1/4 c AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
dash nutmeg
1 egg
2 Tablespoons warm milk
3/4 c canned pumpkin
1 Tablespoon butter, room temp
1/2 c granulated sugar mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and a sprinkling of nutmeg for filling
1/2 c toasted pecans, chopped
- - -
1. Combine first ten ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook
2. Allow dough to mix for bout five minutes until it becomes elastic and begins to climb the hook (it will be sticky, that's perfect)
3. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and allow it to rest in a warm place for 1 hour
4. Once dough has just about doubled in bulk, punch it down and roll it into a large rectangle, about 10" by 18"
5. Brush water or melted butter on the rolled out dough leaving a 1/2" strip along the top of the long side of the rectangle
6. Sprinkle the dough liberally with the spiced sugar mixture and pecans
7. Beginning with the long side of the rectangle facing you, roll the dough away from you finishing with the plain strip of dough (at the top); the roll should be seam side down- lightly press it to seal
8. Slice cinnamon rolls (I made six rolls but this recipe could easily yield eight smaller rolls)
9. Place rolls cut side down in a greased casserole dish and allow to proof for 30 minutes
10. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, tops will be light brown
11. Cool slightly and top with maple glaze (recipe follows)

Maple Glaze
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1 c confectioners sugar
2-4 Tablespoons milk
- - -
1. Whisk together butter, sugar and extract; stream in milk until glaze reaches desired thickness and appears smooth
2. Glaze pumpkin cinnamon rolls liberally

No comments:

Post a Comment