Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Baked French Toast

I have this annoying habit of biting off more than I can chew. Not in terms of eating but in terms of working. I have always been this way.

When I first began working for real, I was eighteen. I went out job hunting and was offered jobs at a deli and a pizza restaurant that needed someone to make dough. I accepted both jobs because I thought I could balance the two... how hard could it be?

There is nothing easy about working at one job, clocking out and then running to make it to another job. The only time changing in the car is cool is in the movie Dirty Dancing.

So you would think seven years later I would know my limits, I would have learned my lesson about over committing. You would think that but last week I found myself staggering from one job to another because I thought it is seasonal and easy work. I can totally manage to work part time, work at my job as a baker at the crack of dawn, get in my daily run, blog and do all the fun holiday things I want.

After writing it down, it is evident how ridiculous my notions are were.


I am thankful to have people in my life that look me in the eyes and tell me when I am being ridiculous. Because of them I am making french toast instead of working at a second job.


This is baked french toast. It is kind of bread pudding.


We start off with cinnamon toast baked in the oven. I used a combination of whole wheat and french bread, but feel free to use whichever bread (s) you like.

Angle the toast slices in a baking dish and pour an eggy, rum custard over the top.


The custard cooks into the bread and makes french toast- no skillet or flipping required.



I have come to the realization that biting off more than you can chew is never a good thing to do- unless you are talking about eating french toast.

Baked French Toast
adapted from smittenkitchen.com
serves 2-3

2 eggs
3/4 c milk
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 oz spiced rum (optional)
1/8 c granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus a dash for custard
dash each nutmeg and cloves
5 slices of bread
2 tablespoons butter
confectioners sugar
maple syrup
- - -
*preheat oven to 400
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread
2. Combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle on buttered bread (reserving any left over sugar) and toast in oven for 5-7 minutes
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and allow toasted bread to cool slightly
4. In a small bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, rum, and spices
5. Butter a small casserole dish and arrange toasted bread, layering slices (I halved my slices for easy positioning) so they form an overlapping, even layer in the dish
6. Pour egg mixture over bread, make sure to coat each slice of toast evenly; let the french toast sit for fifteen minutes at room temperature so that bread absorbs the custard
7. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until tops of bread are toasty and custard is set
8. Dust with confectioners sugar and top with syrup just before serving

1 comment:

  1. Have never tried baking my french toast, very nice idea.

    ReplyDelete