Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chewy Ginger Cookies

There is something I need to get off my chest- it is important. Allow me to get on my soap box, it is election day after all.

I think we should do away with ginger snaps. There I said it.

Yes they have good flavor, but in terms of texture they are similar to hard tac. Eating cookies should be like a hug not a slap in the mouth. I don't think cookies should be abrasive. Ginger snaps should therefore go away unless they are ground up and mixed with butter for cheesecake crust.

I vote we replace them with these.


These cookies taste like gingerbread, which I will be making for you soon. Molasses is the new pumpkin.


I always used the molasses brand with the rabbit on the bottle which I am sure is probably politically incorrect...

Molasses, sugar and a heavy handed sprinkle of spices get turned into a dough and rolled in demerara sugar ( a large crystal, dry brown sugar.)



 These cookies don't snap in the slightest.


In all seriousness, if you like ginger snaps we can still be friends. Just don't invite me over for cookies and milk.

Soft Ginger Cookies
(from joythebaker.com)
makes 14 large cookies
2 1/4 c AP flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 c granulated sugar
1/4 c + 1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 egg 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 c) butter at room temperature
demerara (cane) sugar for coating
- - -
PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 350
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda, set aside
2. In another bowl, using your fingers combine the 1 tablespoon molasses, spices and sugar until it resembles brown sugar, spices are evenly dispersed and sugar is fragrant
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add remaining molasses and egg
4. With mixer on low, add flour mixture a little at a time (do not over mix- I usually finish folding in the last 1/4 of dry ingredients by hand)
5. Scoop dough in rounded two tablespoon portions, rolling into a ball and then coating in
demerara sugar'
6. Place coated cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes (middles will look underdone this is cool)
7. Cool slightly before serving and store in a well sealed container at room temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment