Sunday, December 23, 2012

Holiday Macarons

I was going to make a bouche de noel for my family's Christmas eve dinner. You know, the cake that looks like a tree stump? Around the beginning of December I envisioned myself making the meringue and chocolate decorations days in advance, ganaching the cake and dusting the entire thing with powdered sugar to give off the it-just-snowed effect.

And here I am on Christmas eve's eve with nothing resembling a bouche de noel in my apartment.

So I am making macarons because they are pretty and remind me of Christmas ornaments.

A few months back I wrote a step-by-step tutorial on how to make macarons. I followed the same technique, but changed up the flavors. My substitutions can be found at the end of this post.


On the menu for tomorrow: raspberry, lemon poppy seed, double chocolate, and chocolate peppermint.

Macarons are terribly pretty, but temperamental. It is a love/hate thing.




I made these lemon poppy seed macarons solely because my dad and brothers are die hard UW fans. Truth.

If you are up for a little work, make these bad boys. It is worth it.


Box them up, take them to a gathering and enjoy with a martini. A merry Christmas indeed!

Macaron Substitutions

* for chocolate macarons: sift 3 Tablespoons of dark cocoa powder into the dry ingredients and proceed with recipe as normal. Fill with ganache or crush up candy canes and add to a vanilla buttercream
* for lemon poppy seed macarons: to the egg whites, add 5 drops of purple food coloring before whipping; top cookies with a few poppy seeds immediately after piping them and bake 2-3 minutes longer than directed. Fill with buttercream that has been tinted yellow and flavored with lemon juice
* for raspberry macarons: to the egg whites, add 3 drops red food coloring before whipping; pipe and bake as directed. Fill with buttercream that has been flavored with raspberry jam




No comments:

Post a Comment