Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cabernet Brownies

I was thinking about my heart the other day and came to the realization that it does a lot.

It speeds up when I go running.

It slows down so I can relax and fall asleep.

It lifts into my throat in nervousness and aches uncontrollably when I am sad.

My heart man's the post up, not directly on, my sleeve. It is accessible, but not in everyone's face.

So it would seem I use my heart quite a bit. It is high time I say thank you, that I give something back.

Red wine and dark chocolate are both delicious and (in moderation) good for your heart.

Allow me to put those hands together.


A lot of my recipes include the use of coffee to enhance chocolate- here I used wine. It works much the same way with very different results.

While coffee makes all of the rich, earthy flavors of chocolate stand out, wine highlights the fruity elements. The acidity of the wine offsets the density of this dessert.

Wine is used two ways in this recipe- in the brownies themselves and combined with cream to make ganache. 

Pour heated wine and cream over chocolate then pour that on brownies. Simple.


These brownies are smack dab in the middle between cake-like and fudgy. The wine brightens up, but does not take away from, their rich chocolate flavor. Make these. Do it. Your heart will thank you.



Red Wine Brownies
1/2 c AP flour
2 teaspoons dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 c sugar
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 c red wine (I used cabernet)

for ganache: 1/4 c each heavy cream and red wine; 1 c semisweet chocolate chips; 1 Tablespoon corn syrup
- - -
pre-heat oven to 325 
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda, set aside
2. In a small sauce pan melt butter; add chopped chocolate and stir until smooth
3. Add sugar and vanilla to butter mixture; temper in eggs whisking until just incorporated
4. Fold wet and dry ingredients together quickly (there may be a few lumps this is cool... do not over mix!)
5. Pour batter into a well greased 8x8 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes (until skewer test comes out clean)
6. While brownies are baking or cooling, prepare your ganache by heating 1/4 c each cream and wine to a simmer; pour hot wine mixture over chocolate chips and add corny syrup, stirring until smooth and glossy (the corn syrup will help the ganache hold as well as give it a nice sheen)
7. Once brownies have cooled completely and ganache is room temperature, pour topping over brownies and smooth with an offset spatula before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment