I am sure the cashier thought my purchase was the result of a gung-ho new year's resolution. Alas, it was not.
I bought this cereal so that I could mix it with a bunch of sugar and peanut butter and drizzle it with chocolate.
This glorious combination gets pressed into a greased pan and allowed to set at room temperature- like you are making rice krispie treats.
These bars are slightly crunchy and held together with a peanut butter caramel substance. Chocolate makes them (1) pretty and (2) taste like a peanut butter cup.
If I had known this is what Special K tastes like, I would have bought a box a long time ago.
makes an 8x8" pan
3 heaping cups Special K cereal
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c corn syrup
1/4 c butter
1/4 c peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
chocolate, for finishing
- - -
1. In a small sauce pan, melt together sugar, corn syrup and butter; bring mixture to a boil and let cook for 3 minutes
2. Remove from heat and add in peanut butter and vanilla
3. Measure cereal into a large bowl
4. Pour warm peanut butter mixture over cereal and toss to coat evenly
5. Grease an 8x8 pan well and press cereal mixture into the pan
6. Allow to set at room temperature for 1-2 hours (or in the fridge if you are in a hurry)
7. Cut bars when the mixture is firm and holds together; drizzle with melted chocolate to serve